Alimony Modification During COVID-19

Alimony Modification During COVID-19

by Jun 24, 2020COVID-19, Spousal Support

With the number of COVID-19 cases starting to rise again, and the unemployment rate at record highs, many individuals and families are struggling financially. If you are currently paying alimony and/or child support, and have been financially affected by the pandemic, you may be eligible to lower those payments either temporarily or permanently.

Alimony Modification Requirements

Generally speaking, one or more of the following conditions must be met in order for you to be eligible to lower your alimony payments:

  • You lose your job or get a wage reduction
  • You have an illness or disability that prevents you from working
  • Your ex remarries or moves in with a new partner
  • Your ex’s income dramatically increases

If you have recently lost your job because of the pandemic, it’s possible that you can file for alimony modification. Similarly, if you have contracted coronavirus and will be unable to work for a significant period of time, that may qualify you for reduced payments as well.

Ready To Speak To An Attorney?

Call us now at (707) 529-3200

How To Request Alimony Modification

If you believe you are eligible for alimony modification, your first step should be to contact an experienced divorce and family law attorney.

Your attorney will file a motion in court, and then the process of discovery will take place. During discovery, you will be asked to produce documentation that proves your financial situation and/or health has changed.

Your attorney will walk you through the process, and ultimately the judge in your case will make a decision based on the documents and any other supporting evidence provided by you and your ex.

If you are uncertain about whether or not you are eligible for alimony modification, due to the COVID-19 crisis or for another reason, please contact our office for a free phone consultation.


At Vonder Haar Law Offices, we offer every client a free phone consultation to discuss their unique situation and determine how we can help. To arrange a consultation, please fill out the adjacent form or call us at: (707) 529-3200.

We provide representation in California State and Federal Courts. We accept most major credit cards for your convenience.

4 + 4 =